Banking and Finance Solicitors
Coronavirus advice for business
We can provide advice on agreements between lenders and borrowers to restructure and/or waive loan terms (including financial covenants), the introduction of short term payment holidays and additional working capital funding solutions.
- The British Business Bank 2020 Small Business Equity Tracker report
- How can a company protect its assets in the face of trading risk?
- An overview of the Coronavirus (Scotland) (No.2) Act 2020
- Futures Fund offers support for innovative businesses requiring investment – but how will it work in practice
- Job Retention Scheme extended until October - 12 May
- Could light touch administration mean a light at the end of the tunnel for struggling businesses?
- Coronavirus: enforcement of gender pay gap reporting is suspended
- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme and furloughed workers - what you need to know
- Property and lease transacting during the lockdown
- Should commercial landlords grant holiday, suspension or deferral for rent
- What do employers and employees do about holidays during the outbreak?
- How to keep track of the most up-to-date, official coronavirus advice
- Coronavirus: deferment of UK tax
- Coronavirus update – have you asked your bank about the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme?
- Coronavirus advice for business – have you spoken to your bank?
- Coronavirus: update for businesses on Government support package
Tony has significant experience in acting for both lenders and borrowers in a wide range of transactions including acquisition finance, real estate finance, project finance, housing finance, asset finance, working capital solutions and restructuring/refinancing. View full profile.
Trusted advisers to funders and borrowers
We are trusted advisers to both banks and borrowers, providing specialist legal advice on banking and finance issues across all sectors.
Our team advised on around 500 transactions in the past year – deals worth around £1 billion in total – and our firm is regarded as one of the country’s leading dealmakers with extensive corporate mergers and acquisitions experience.
We act for most of the main funders active in the UK market, including the biggest international banks, mezzanine funders and crowdfunding lenders.
A significant portion of our work involves advising non funder clients in relation to their interaction with banks and financial institutions. We are trusted advisers to many of the firm’s clients, from SMEs to large corporates, on all banking and finance issues that arise in their businesses.
Our specialists work with funders and businesses at all stages in the economic cycle, from start-up through to specific transactions and from ongoing trading issues to turnaround and restructuring.
Much of our work has multi-jurisdictional aspects and we often work with legal firms across the world in structuring and completing banking and finance transactions.
We are adept at project managing transactions to make the process as straightforward as possible for our clients and are focused on driving deals forward to ensure that we deliver the best outcome possible for our clients in the desired timescale.
Call the team for free on 0330 159 5555 or complete our online form below for legal advice or to arrange a call back.
Why choose us?
The breadth of our experience with financial institutions, funds and lenders, including in-house placements at major UK banks, means we understand what's important when funding transactions - insight that is invaluable when acting for lenders and borrowers alike.
Our vast experience of advising businesses of all sizes on banking and finance matters means we also understand their key motivations and needs – this makes us ideal advisers to borrowers and gives us an extra dimension when advising funders.
We don’t simply provide the first class advice you expect from your legal advisers, we provide practical, commercially driven solutions to the issues that you face.
We are acutely aware of the primary concerns of lenders when funding transactions and ensure that:
- Key assets underpinning the lending are secured or otherwise protected
- The debt and security is workable and flexible
- All financial and other covenants are appropriate to the deal and correctly drawn
- Our advise is clear and concise
- We provide strategic legal solutions
We make it our business to understand the context in which your business operates and ensure that the requirements of your lenders and the terms of funding documentation recognise all relevant factors. We ensure that:
- The funding solution adequately matches your needs
- The security and lending structure does not unduly impinge on your business flexibility
- The availability of funds is sufficiently certain
- Covenants and defaults are not unduly onerous
General corporate and commercial banking
Advising on day-to-day lending and borrowing matters including new corporate facilities, refinancing and renewal of existing facilities and creation of security. We draft and advise on bank standard documentation, Loan Market Association (LMA) documentation, bespoke documentation and bilateral and syndicated lending.
Advising in relation to various types of transaction, including management buy-outs, management buy-ins, mergers and acquisitions. Our experience includes transactions funded by way of senior, mezzanine and subordinated debt and private equity, regarding complex structures and sizeable deal values.
Advising on real estate finance facilities and creating property backed security for a wide range of sectors including trading businesses, healthcare and rural & agriculture.
Advising on high-value project finance transactions across a range of sectors. We have extensive expertise in dealing with all aspects of projects including bank and capital market funding, security structures, intercreditor arrangements, due diligence and step in arrangements.
Advising housing providers and lenders on high-value housing finance transactions, bank documentation advice, grant funding agreements and security documentation.
Advising in all areas of asset finance including acting in relation to invoice discounting and receivables, equipment finance and asset-backed lending transactions. Our expertise includes drafting and negotiating asset finance documentation and advising on this form of funding as part of acquisition finance and turnaround transactions as well as an alternative source of working capital.
Advising on a wide range of impaired asset solutions including equity restructuring, property participation, security enhancement and security realisation.
Extensive experience of advising on professional negligence matters as it affects both those in the banking sector and their customers.
Advising on international and multi-jurisdictional transactions with Scottish aspects.
Our clients include
- Clydesdale Bank plc
- Clyde Group
- Fred. Olsen
- Genesis Renewable Energy
- Lloyds Banking Group
- Optical Express Group
- PV Solar Investments
- Scottish Motor Auctions
- Webhelp UK
Meet the banking & finance team
More from Harper Macleod
Why choose us?
You don't need a lawyer - not many law firms will tell you that. What you need is someone to provide a solution, and our advisors are dedicated and flexible enough to do just that.
Personal legal services
With one of Scotland's largest teams dealing with personal legal matters, we have specialist knowledge for every stage of your life - from buying a house to protecting your assets.
Visit the HM Insights page to keep up to date with changes to legislation, case law, and our views on other interesting developments in Scotland and the UK.