Coronavirus advice for business
The widespread impact of COVID-19 on workplaces will lead employers to have to handle a significant variety of issues, including supporting business continuity such as: health & safety measures for staff; homeworking and care for dependents; restricting travel; pay for those self-isolating.
There are also business sustainability measures including: reducing workforce size temporarily or permanently; imposing changes to remuneration or benefit provision, or taking other measures including restructuring pay arrangements over time.
Decisions can't be safely taken based on status, service or ability without risks arising, due to protections to part-time staff, to the ability to challenge employment status and the protections that flow from the Equality Act. Service contract cancellation can also give rise to difficulties under business cessation and transfer laws.
With employers facing significant uncertainty, a prudent approach to forecasting may help and we can provide advice on how to mitigate the risks. If COVID-19 passes but significant steps have had to be taken, employers need to avoid having a legacy of claims arising from taking the right action, but in the wrong way.
Key contact - Bruce Caldow
Bruce specialises in employment law and heads the firm's employment law practice. He advises in relation to both contentious and non-contentious matters and acts primarily for employers along with executive and senior-level employees before the Employment Tribunals and Employment Appeal Tribunal. View full profile.
Solution driven advice for employers in all sectors
Our award-winning team of specialist employment solicitors advises on every aspect of employment law.
From offices in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverness, Thurso and Shetland our advice and strategic support is focused on providing practical, straightforward and solution-driven assistance for your employment law issues in Scotland & across the UK.
The team acts for a broad range of clients - from Government agencies and public sector organisations, to multinational corporations, family-owned businesses and leading third sector employers – representing them in Scotland, England and beyond.
From advising on HR issues and policies which can help you to avoid workplace disputes in the first place to representing our clients at Employment Tribunals if the need arises, our specialists can guide you through all aspects of employment law.
Why choose us for your employment law advice?
When you work with us we become your trusted advisers first, and lawyers second. Our advice on employment transactions and contracts is down-to-earth, practical and makes complete business sense.
We’re also innovative in the way we deliver our services, providing transparent management information and a range of billing options to suit your needs, including our individually bespoke retainer scheme.
In addition to high quality legal advice, we offer tailored training and seminar programmes which focus on the issues relevant to our clients.
Call us for free on 0330 159 5555 or complete our online form below for legal advice or to arrange a call back.
Our employment law services
We pride ourselves on getting to know our clients’ organisations, so when we approach your HR issues - policies, procedures, contracts, transfers or disputes - we're doing so first and foremost on the basis of our understanding of organisations of all sizes across all sectors.
- We have particular experience of business transfers and TUPE regulations, advising on more than 60 in the past year alone.
- We represent many local authorities all across Scotland.
- We advise some of the leading bodies in the third sector.
Your employment transactions will often require more than employment law expertise. So you'll benefit from the knowledge contained within one of Scotland’s leading law firms, which means we're able to draw on specialist solicitors in other disciplines.
We can add value to your organisation through our appreciation of risk and assessment as to how particular decisions will impact on you.
Our key services include:
- Adjusting for disabilities
- Business transfers, TUPE and outsourcing
- Change management:
- Workforce planning including growth
- Handling individual and large-scale redundancies
- Planning and implementing restructuring and reorganisation
- Contractual disputes
- Equal Pay
- Equalities and discrimination
- Family friendly and rights to time-off
- Investigations, complex disciplinary and grievance issues
- Managing long-term and infrequent absences
- Managing the ACAS conciliation and negotiation process
- Obtaining and resisting interdict & damages claims
- Partnership issues, zero-hour contracts, structuring volunteer relationships and atypical workers
- Post-merger implementation
- Representation before the ET and EAT
- Resolving employee disputes
- Securing confidential information and intellectual property rights
- Tailored contracts and policies
- Whistleblowing, health & safety
- Workplace mediation
Supporting people and organisational development:
- Bespoke briefing notes
- Focused seminars
- Regular blogging and legal updates
- Tailored training
Harper Macleod Employment retainer package
Sign up to our retainer scheme to get the best advice at a reduced rate
Harper Macleod LLP offer a high quality, comprehensive and cost effective tailored service, delivered by a dedicated team of employment solicitors who put our clients’ business needs and commercial interests at the heart of their support and advice.
Some benefits of our retainer package
- Preferred retainer rates
- Policy health checks and reviews
- New policies and procedures as the law develops
- Private training sessions
- Free telephone advice line
- Advice from specialist Solicitors
Training services for employers
We also offer a bespoke training programmes for clients.
Our bespoke training programs allow HR, executives, managers and employees alike to upskill or refresh their understanding of a variety of areas of employment law and HR practice including:-
- Recruitment pitfalls and getting it right;
- Assessing evidence, weighing it up and making impenetrable decisions
- A fair workplace and the rules on pay, hours and holidays
- Compliance with and promotion of equal opportunities and discrimination law
- Managing and reducing absence and short or long term illnesses
- Disability discrimination problems
- Appeals – reviews, re-hearings, fairness and mitigating risk
More from Harper Macleod
Why choose us?
You don't need a lawyer - not many law firms will tell you that. What you need is someone to provide a solution, and our advisors are dedicated and flexible enough to do just that.
Personal legal services
With one of Scotland's largest teams dealing with personal legal matters, we have specialist knowledge for every stage of your life - from buying a house to protecting your assets.
Visit the HM Insights page to keep up to date with changes to legislation, case law, and our views on other interesting developments in Scotland and the UK.