Tom specialises in intellectual property and technology related matters (including outsourcing) as well as mainstream corporate acquisitions, sales, structures, drafting and negotiating commercial arrangements, and agreements. Tom also has extensive experience within the renewable energy and sport sectors.
Tom is senior partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property & Technology practice and is listed in the International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers. He was previously a member of the panel of independent experts appointed by Nominet UK, the UK level domain name authority, to adjudicate on domain name disputes.
His experience includes:
- Acting for the Scottish Professional Football League (formerly the Scottish Premier League) in relation to its broadcast and sponsorship agreements since 1998 including recent agreements with Sky, BT Sport, the BBC, YouTube, BBC ALBA and overseas rights distributor MP & Silva. Advising Glasgow 2014 Ltd in relation to the host broadcast agreement for coverage of the XX Commonwealth Games in Glasgow; advising sportscotland and various sports governing bodies in relation to corporate and commercial matters.
- Advising the Forestry and Land Scotland in relation to various wind and hydro renewable energy initiatives and their implementation.
- Advising the Highlands and Islands Enterprise in relation to its £146million next generation broadband agreement with BT.
- Advising various agencies and directorates of the Scottish Government in relation to commercial contracts and corporate matters
- Advising a Scottish public body in relation to an outsourcing and shared IT services venture with several other Scottish public bodies.
- Advising various community organisations in relation to renewable energy projects.
- Advising Webhelp in relation to various outsourcing agreements to the mobile telecommunications and financial services sectors in the UK.
Tom is accredited by the Law Society of Scotland as a specialist in Intellectual Property Law. Chambers UK ranks Tom as a “Leader in the Field” in Information Technology and Legal 500 lists Tom as a “Leading Lawyer” in Sport and a “Recommended Lawyer” in IT & Telecoms and Intellectual Property.
Tom has lectured part-time for the Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice at the Glasgow Graduate School of Law on the Formation and Management of Companies.
Tom Thomas advises corporate and public sector customers and also BPO service providers and tech companies on all manner of IT outsourcing and procurement transactions. He has additional expertise with regard to sports and broadcast media. "Tom is excellent - personable, fast-working and thorough."
Integral to the practice is Tom Thomas; he is considered a go-to name for sponsorship and broadcasting agreements in addition to commercial and IP property rights.
‘Tom Thomas is brilliant, he has got to know our business and helped us in a new area of development that had considerable risk’ says a client.
Tom is a 'sports expert'.
Tom regularly assists with technology contract work. A source says 'Tom gets to know his clients' business and understands the importance of the solutions they are seeking to protect.