Euan is head of our Infrastructure & Projects team, a key member of our Construction & Engineering Group and is one of Scotland’s most experienced construction, engineering and infrastructure lawyers. He a Law Society of Scotland Accredited Specialist in Construction Law.
Euan has successfully advised both public and private sector clients on complex and high value construction, engineering and infrastructure projects for more than 25 years. Euan’s recent track record covers projects in the following key sectors:
- Scottish Government’s hub initiative projects – Euan has advised on hub projects continuously since the launch of the initiative in 2009. He has been lead adviser on 12 signed hub DBFM contracts (including first two such projects to reach financial close in Scotland) and 31 signed hub DBDA contracts, with a combined works value of £797.5million.
- Major roads and other transport projects, including the £500 million M8 M73 M74 Motorways Improvement Project, the £745 million AWPR Project, the £590 million A465 project and the £300 million Aberdeen Harbour Expansion Project.
- Multiple construction contracts for the provision of affordable homes, including the largest residential Passivhaus project in Scotland, the largest social housing development delivered using exclusively modular construction technologies and Scotland’s first purpose built “village” development intended for occupation solely by post graduate students.
- Other significant energy efficiency led projects including the citywide replacement of street lighting in Edinburgh, a street lighting project for Glasgow city centre and a new community and education campus to be constructed to Passivhaus standards (likely to be Scotland’s largest Passivhaus construction project).
- Extensive involvement in advising on multiple contract management issues under operational PFI and PPP projects, including in relation to three of Scotland’s largest acute hospitals.
- Advising on the first two facilities management contracts procured in Scotland using the new nec 4 FMC (one of which relates to the Scotland wide estate of a major Scottish Public Body and is valued at c£75 million over the 5 year service period).
Euan has extensive knowledge of and is an expert in advising on negotiation of contracts procured under all major industry standard forms including hub DBDA, SBCC, JCT, nec, FIDIC and MF/1. He also regularly advises on PFI/PPP project agreements, development agreements and joint venture agreements.
He has been independently ranked by Chambers UK in Construction and Infrastructure: PFI/PPP (UK-wide) and by Legal 500 in Construction, Projects and Social Housing.
"He has very good leadership skills and I have felt very supported by him."
"Euan Pirie is highly capable and hard working and will go the extra mile as a matter of routine. He is able to explain very complex issues and find innovative solutions to resolve matters much quicker than had been anticipated."
"Euan has, and continues to be, instrumental from a legal perspective in helping us get a large project under control and back on track."
"Euan Pirie is absolutely first-class."
"Euan Pirie’s knowledge of the PPP market is invaluable, and he uses his vast experience on each of the projects he undertakes."
"Euan is an invaluable legal adviser."
"Our main contact and key person is Euan Pirie, who is generally very busy, but manages to find time to ensure a high-quality service is provided."
"His knowledge is first class. His commercial vision and advice on navigating his way through complicated cases is strong. He has done this very practically."
"Euan Pirie is constantly looking to innovate."
Euan Pirie has "A real desire to work towards achieving the best possible outcome but with a pragmatic approach - a willingness to look at new situations and come up with solutions."
"He provides innovative solutions in what can be a complex environment, and his forward thinking provides his clients with a clear path to completion."
A Blueprint to net zero
Create Construction administration shows real risk to projects
Market financial pressures create uncertainties for buyers of construction and engineering services
Dealing with volatile materials costs in construction contracts
Why do lawyers amend standard form construction and engineering contracts?
The challenge of delivering Passivhaus projects using standard form construction contracts
Avoid creating undue financial pressure on construction and engineering contractors through aggressive amendment of standard form payment provisions