Euan is head of our Infrastructure & Projects team, a key member of our Construction & Engineering Group and is one of Scotland’s most experienced construction, engineering and infrastructure lawyers. He a Law Society of Scotland Accredited Specialist in Construction Law.
Euan has successfully advised both public and private sector clients on complex and high value construction, engineering and infrastructure projects for more than 25 years. Euan’s recent track record covers projects in the following key sectors:
- Scottish Government’s hub initiative projects – Euan has advised on hub projects continuously since the launch of the initiative in 2009. He has been lead adviser on 12 signed hub DBFM contracts (including first two such projects to reach financial close in Scotland) and 31 signed hub DBDA contracts, with a combined works value of £797.5million.
- Major roads and other transport projects, including the £500 million M8 M73 M74 Motorways Improvement Project, the £745 million AWPR Project, the £590 million A465 project and the £300 million Aberdeen Harbour Expansion Project.
- Multiple construction contracts for the provision of affordable homes, including the largest residential Passivhaus project in Scotland, the largest social housing development delivered using exclusively modular construction technologies and Scotland’s first purpose built “village” development intended for occupation solely by post graduate students.
- Other significant energy efficiency led projects including the citywide replacement of street lighting in Edinburgh, a street lighting project for Glasgow city centre and a new community and education campus to be constructed to Passivhaus standards (likely to be Scotland’s largest Passivhaus construction project).
- Extensive involvement in advising on multiple contract management issues under operational PFI and PPP projects, including in relation to three of Scotland’s largest acute hospitals.
- Advising on the first two facilities management contracts procured in Scotland using the new nec 4 FMC (one of which relates to the Scotland wide estate of a major Scottish Public Body and is valued at c£75 million over the 5 year service period).
Euan has extensive knowledge of and is an expert in advising on negotiation of contracts procured under all major industry standard forms including hub DBDA, SBCC, JCT, nec, FIDIC and MF/1. He also regularly advises on PFI/PPP project agreements, development agreements and joint venture agreements.
Euan is independently ranked in Infrastructure PFI/PPP and Projects PFI/PPP (both at UK level), Construction, Local Government and Social Housing in Scotland by the UK’s leading legal directories, Chambers UK and The Legal 500.
Euan Pirie advises a wide range of clients including city councils, developers, project companies and contractors. He possesses considerable experience in the structuring of PPP projects in the education, healthcare and transport sectors. "He gives you the best options rather than just sticking to one direction and really goes the extra mile to get the deal done in a way that is most favourable to his client."
"He has very good leadership skills and I have felt very supported by him."
Euan Pirie is well placed to advise developers on development agreements and construction contracts. Clients remark: "He's always quick to provide very sound advice, available and fast in responding."
Create Construction administration shows real risk to projects
Market financial pressures create uncertainties for buyers of construction and engineering services
Dealing with volatile materials costs in construction contracts
Why do lawyers amend standard form construction and engineering contracts?
The challenge of delivering Passivhaus projects using standard form construction contracts
Avoid creating undue financial pressure on construction and engineering contractors through aggressive amendment of standard form payment provisions
Strategy for mitigating effect of contractor insolvency - Step 3: get the right bond in place
Step 2: ensuring sums paid (promptly!) to the main contractor flow down quickly and undiluted to source