Paul is a corporate lawyer with over 10 years’ experience of providing advice and assistance on corporate and commercial matters across a variety of industry sectors. He has wide general corporate experience, with specific expertise in acquisitions and disposals, joint ventures, corporate structuring, group reorganisations and general corporate governance.
As well as working on large cross border transactions, Paul works with SME’s throughout the UK, with a particular focus on advising family and owner managed businesses. He is one of the corporate team’s key advisers on business succession, with specialist knowledge around the implementation of MBOs, MBIs, VIMBOs and Employee Ownership.
Notable highlights include:
- Advising on the sale of the global wind turbine installation business Windhoist Group to European fund manager STAR Capital for an undisclosed consideration. Windhoist, an owner-managed business which is headquartered in Scotland but has subsidiaries in Morocco, Ireland, South Africa and Australia, as well as premises in Germany, has erected more than 6000 turbines across the world.
- Advising on the sale of MSP (Scotland) Limited, a commercial cladding business, to Birmingham based, Vivalda PLC.
- Advising the leading Scottish accountancy firm of Scott-Moncrieff on the sale of its business and assets to the Baldwins accountancy group.
- Also, and as highlighted by The Legal 500 (2019 edition), “Paul Macdonald and others acted for owner-managed Scottish accountancy practice Campbell Dallas in its acquisition by England-based The Baldwins Group”.
- Advising family owned company, Connelly Security Systems Limited (CSS), on multiple business acquisitions over the last five years including: (i) the acquisition of Castle Security Group Limited (2014); (ii) the acquisition of T&D Security Systems Limited (2016); and (iii) the succession planning exercise resulting in CSS acquiring the entire shareholding held by one of CSS’ founding families through multiple share buybacks (2017); (iv) the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of AFA Fire and Security Limited (2018); and (v) the acquisition of certain business and assets of Securus Group Limited (2018).
"Paul Macdonald of Harper Macleod worked diligently and was willing to go above and beyond to get the deal done. His deal knowledge and friendly approach helped me to understand the sale process. Paul's guidance and professionalism allowed a good deal to be negotiated and I can retire with peace of mind."