circle circle
 Workplace bullying & harassment solicitors

Workplace bullying & harassment solicitors

Your employer has a legal duty of care to prevent workplace bullying and harassment. Our employment law team can help provide support and advice if you’re being treated unfairly at work.


Legal advice for bullying & harassment at work

Bullying, harassment and other forms of unacceptable behaviour in the workplace are widespread problems which affect all genders, races and ages. Employers are obliged take appropriate action to create an open culture within the workplace, where staff feel comfortable and safe.

Under the Equality Act 2010, organisations within the UK are legally required not to discriminate against individuals on account of any of the protected characteristics covered by the Act; however, even outwith the terms of this act, there is a more general obligation to prevent bullying and harassment of any form in the workplace.


Common questions about bullying & harassment

What defines unacceptable behaviour in the workplace?


Generally, unacceptable behaviour can be defined as behaviour that creates, or has the potential to create, risk to the business or the health and safety of employees.

It can include:

  • Bullying
  • Harassment
  • Coercion and/or discrimination
  • Aggressive/abusive behaviour

This list is not exhaustive and in some cases other types of behaviour deemed acceptable in one workplace may be considered unacceptable in another.

How do I prove harassment at work?


For behaviour to count at harassment, it must have either violated your dignity or created a hostile environment for you.

Harassment is when bullying or unwanted behaviour is about ‘protected characteristics’ under discrimination law: age; disability; gender reassignment; race; religion or belief; sex; sexual orientation.

Can I take legal action over bullying & harassment at work?


In the first instance you should seek to sort out the problem informally, however if that does not prove successful you should talk to your manager, HR department or a trades union representative.

Again, if the problem is not resolved, you can make a formal complaint using your employer’s grievance procedure. If the harassment continues, the next step is to take legal action at an employment tribunal.

Our team can advise you on the best course of action, depending on your circumstances.


“I have dealt with Harper Macleod for over ten years and have nothing but respect and admiration for the firm. I also use them for my own personal legal matters as I have total confidence in their professionalism and in the quality of their staff and advice.”

– HM client

“Bruce Caldow has extensive experience in this area of law, and is well regarded within the profession. He is an effective and resourceful negotiator who sees through legal difficulties to find the best solutions for his clients.”

– The Legal 500 2023

“Lorna Davis is a dedicated professional who gives 110% to her clients. She is tenacious and fearless in litigation and never takes the easy options unless they are the best ones. She is intelligent, hardworking and a good team player and enjoys excellent relations with her extensive client base.”

– The Legal 500 2023

“Lorna Davis provides a clear and concise advice, whilst fully understanding the commercial implications.”

– Chambers UK 2023

“Scott Milligan is a very knowledgeable partner who will provide very impactful advice that is reasonable in understanding the business stance and highlights risk in any employment law issue.”

– The Legal 500 2023



Glasgow Edinburgh Inverness Elgin Thurso Shetland
Get in touch

Call us for free on 0330 912 0294 or complete our online form below for legal advice or to arrange a call back.

Speak to us today on 0330 159 5555

Get in touch


Get in touch

Call us for free on 0330 159 5555 or complete our online form below to submit your enquiry or arrange a call back.