Licensing Law Solicitors

Coronavirus advice for business

Alcohol, gambling and civic licensing law advice

Our team has extensive experience in all aspects of licensing law in Scotland, and is recognised as one of the country’s leading practices.

We have specialist knowledge of all forms of alcohol, gambling and civic government licensing and can also help you with any licensing board appearance work.

We advise both private and public sector clients, ranging from owner-operators to public limited companies.

Licensing clients include pubs, nightclubs, bookmakers, hotels, restaurants, brewers, manufacturers, retailers, wholesalers, filling stations, convenience stores, landlords, taxi operators and more.

Why choose us for licensing law advice?

Led by some of Scotland’s leading licensing lawyers, our knowledge of complex legislation across all sectors, allied to comprehensive and practical advice, ensures we make it simple for you to keep on top of what is required.

With offices in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Inverness, our solicitors represent clients across the length and breadth of Scotland, utilising strong relationships and working knowledge in all 32 local authority areas to ensure you receive the best, most effective representation wherever you are.

If you would like to discuss any licensing issues you have, and get an idea of the timescale and cost involved, please contact a member of our team.

We are here to help-20.png

Key licensing services


  • Obtaining a new premise licence
  • Variations and transfer of premises licences
  • Personal licences
  • Purchase and sale and leasing of licensed premises
  • Advice on licensing appeals

Dealing with regulations and authorities

We ensure that you are never on your own when dealing with licensing regulation or authorities. We can assist with:

  • Attending the licensing boards and licensing committees on your behalf across Scotland
  • Dealing with licensing appeals in the Sheriff Court and Court of Session
  • Assisting you where criminal proceedings and review hearings have been brought against you for breach of any licensing obligations


  • Obtaining a new operator’s licence, premises licence or personal licence
  • Variations and transfer of licences
  • Gaming permits for alcohol and club licensed premises
  • Advice on licensing appeals

Civic government

  • Public entertainment licences
  • Houses with multiple occupation licences
  • Taxi licensing, including vehicle, driver and booking office licences
  • Theatre licenses
  • Late hours catering licences
  • Permissions to host marriage ceremonies on non-religious premises

Contact us

Call us for free on 0330 159 5555 or complete our online form below for legal advice or to arrange a call back.

Please don't provide anything sensitive here, like health details, or your credit card number

By completing this form you agree to Harper Macleod's Privacy Notice.