Martin is a member of our Public Sector Team, acting for RSLs, local authorities and other public sector clients, specifically providing advice and assistance in relation to real estate matters.
Martin has been a real estate lawyer for over 20 years and has in that time worked for clients in all parts of the sector, including investment purchases and sales, property finance and development sites, project work, corporate support and cross border transactions.
Recent work includes:
- acting on behalf of Inverclyde Council on the property and leasing aspects of the Council’s City Deal-funded Ocean Terminal project in Greenock;
- Acting for Moray Council in the disposal of commercial property assets;
- Acting for South Ayrshire Council in acquisition of town centre sites for redevelopment as part of their town centre regeneration plans;
- Advising Highland Council on property aspects of their provision of grant funding to individuals and SMEs through, for example, RTIF, RCGF and VDLF Grants;
- Acting for Glasgow City Council in the disposal of two golf courses to the R&A, St Andrews; and
- Advising City of Edinburgh Council on sale of property to be refurbished and used for social housing purposes;
Martin regularly acts for various Scottish housing associations in acquisition of sites throughout Scotland for development of affordable housing including, Melville, Cairn, Eildon, Kingdom, Lochaber, Grampian, Hjaltland and Caledonia Housing Associations, Hebridean Housing Partnership and Dumfries & Galloway Housing Partnership.
Martin has also had extensive experience in landlord and tenant work involving all types of properties including offices, industrial sites, but particularly retail units, where he has acted for UK and international brands such as Menkind, Clinton Cards, Dixons Carphone Warehouse, Money Shop, MKM Building Supplies, Peacocks and Edinburgh Woollen Mill.
Martin’s other particular strength lies in the tourism and hospitality sectors – he has acted for a number of owners/occupiers of restaurants, hotels and pubs throughout Scotland (most recently acting for both Thai Express and Jollibee in the leasing of their first premises in Scotland). Martin is a past Board Director of the Scottish Tourism Alliance and Scottish solicitor for the British Holiday & Home Parks Association.