circle circle
Personal injury claims

What types of personal injury can you claim for?



As one of Scotland’s leading personal injury and reparation law firms we understand the various facets of a personal injury claim. We understand that our client needs are evolving along with the difficulties that the pandemic presents. Our robust business continuity procedure has enabled our specialist team to continue providing our exceptional and one-stop service to our clients.

What is a Personal Injury Claim?

If you have suffered an injury or illness as a result of someone else’s fault then you may have a personal injury claim.  A personal injury claim can be raise against a person, business or organisation that may be fully or partially to blame for your injury.

At Harper Macleod we understand that every personal injury claim is different and we ensure that we fight for justice to maximise your compensation. There is no one size fits all for compensation and the amount of compensation you will receive will depend on the evidence available.

What types of Personal Injury can you claim for?

Our specialist team of personal injury solicitors are experienced in dealing with a variety of claims, which include but are not limited to the following claims:

Accident at Work Claims

Your employer has a duty to take reasonable care for your health and safety and they are responsible for the acts or failures of your fellow employees during the course of their employment, should that result in an injury at work. If your employer has breached any of their duties, and as a result, you were injured, then you may have a claim.

Accidents in Public Places

If you have had an accident in a public place then you may be able to make a claim against the responsible party. For example an accident in a supermarket, shopping centre, gym, pubs, restaurant leisure centre.

Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Scotland

You may have suffered injury or illness whilst serving with the armed forces.  You may have even lost a partner during their service.  If so, then you may be entitled to make a claim to the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS).  The AFCS is available to all members of the Royal Navy, the Royal Marines, the British Army, the Royal Air Force and also the Reserves. We can help guide you through any claim to the AFCS having specialist solicitors who can provide you with full advice throughout the claim process.

Car Accident Claims

A car accident can have a serious impact on those involved and their families, whether you were a driver, passenger or pedestrian. We can help and have experience in all types of Road Traffic Accidents claims including cycling, motorbike, pedestrian and whiplash claims.

Cycling and Motorbike Accident Claim

Cyclist and Motorcyclists are some of the most vulnerable road users and even when wearing protective clothing and a helmet, they can suffer serious injury. You may be able to recover compensation not only for injury but for damage to your bicycle/motorcycle and specialist cycling/motorcycling equipment including your cycling/motorcycle helmet.

Medical / Clinical Negligence

Claims can arise following errors by all types of medical professionals, including GP’s, surgeons, hospital staff, dentists, opticians, paramedics, midwives & consultants. Our medical negligence team in Scotland is experienced in a wide variety of claims and will guide you through the process.

Occupation and Industrial Diseases Claims

Employers have a duty to protect their employees from any risks to their health and safety, including the contraction of any occupational diseases. Occupational disease remains a large issue in the UK and can have life changing consequences for some and, at worst, life ending results for others. At Harper Macleod, we have experience in dealing with industrial disease claims and we understand the larger picture of how such a diagnosis can affect you and your family. It is not just about the pain and suffering but also the consequences on household income, social relationships and future prospects.

Serious Injury Claims

If you have sustained an injury you may be able to make a claim. A serious injury could be a result of brain and head injury, spinal cord injury, orthopaedic injury, amputation, burns and internal injuries or PTSD and psychological injury. We will fight for justice and fairness for you and your family and are committed to making a positive difference. We have links with charities, healthcare professionals and other services that can help you following an often life-changing event.

Sports Injury Compensation Claims

Those who take part in competitive sport owe a duty of care to all other players to ensure that they take such care as is reasonable to avoid injury to other teammates or opponents. Both players in the sporting activity and spectators are entitled to make a claim. You can make a claim if you are injured in both contact and non-contact sports. Also, if you’ve suffered an injury due to the sports facilities you may have a claim against the operator.

Whiplash Injuries

Road traffic accidents are the main cause of whiplash injuries. Whiplash is a term that describes a neck injury caused by a sudden movement of the head forwards, backwards or sideways. After a road traffic accident, it can take a while (6 to 12 hrs) for the symptoms of Whiplash to develop. The long term effects of a Whiplash injury can make it difficult for you to carry out daily activities, enjoy your leisure time, and at worst may result in an inability to work and can lead to further issues.

Criminal Injuries Compensation

If you were a victim of criminal injury then you may be able to make a claim to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).  We can help guide you through this process.



Glasgow Edinburgh Inverness Elgin Thurso Shetland
Get in touch

Call us for free on 0330 912 0294 or complete our online form below for legal advice or to arrange a call back.

Speak to us today on 0330 159 5555

Get in touch


Get in touch

Call us for free on 0330 159 5555 or complete our online form below to submit your enquiry or arrange a call back.