We can help with your slip or trip compensation claim

Compensation claims - accidents in public places 

Keep 100% of your compensation - no cost to you

If you've had an accident in a public place then you may be able to make a claim against the responsible party.

Common injuries suffered as a result of an accident in a public place include broken bones, torn muscles or bruises.

You may suffer a range of injuries, some of which may have a significant impact on your life. You may need to take time off work to recover from your injuries.

Some of the locations for successful claims for slips, trips and falls include

  • pavement & roads
  • shops, supermarkets & shopping centres
  • pubs, restaurants & nightclubs
  • car parks
  • gyms, horse riding schools & swimming pools
  • schools, colleges and universities
  • offices

If you have been injured by someone else's negligence in a public place then you may be able to make a claim under that person's household insurance policy. Similarly if we can show that the defect has been present and there is a failure by a company, contractor or local authority to provide a safe environment for the public then we may be able to succesfully pursue your case.

How much compensation could I be awarded?

The value of your claim will depend on the injury you sufffered and how long your symptoms last. If you do not receive wages during any absence from work due to the accident, you can also recover these.

Our specialist personal injury lawyers will help you. We don't charge you a fee for your claim and we do not take any of your compensation so you can instruct us with confidence at no costs to you.

Get in touch with our injury claims team

Speak to one of our specialist team for a free initial consultation. We cover the whole of Scotland and have offices in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverness, Thurso & Lerwick but can deal with your claim no matter where you are based. 

We will be able to give you an indication of the potential value of your claim. Remember with us you keep 100% of the compensation your receive.

Send us details of your slip or trip claim

More information about a possible Slip or Trip Claim

What's the difference between slipping & tripping?

Slipping - you stepped forward, your heel making contact with the floor and as your weight transferred, your foot slipped due to a substance on the ground.

Tripping - your foot stopped suddenly from moving forward as a result of an obstruction or raised surface.

When can I make a compensation claim?

If you have tripped or slipped as a result of someone else's fault then you may be able to make a claim against the responsible party.

It is important to remember that it may be suggested that the accident was partly your fault. Many things can be taken into consideration such as inappropriate footwear or not paying attention to where you are walking. If you are found to have caused or contributed to your own injury then any compensation would be reduced.

Examples of typical claims

Local authorities

In general terms a local authority will usually have responsibility for roads and pavements. They are obliged to maintain roads and pavements by visual inspection at reasonable intervals. Any areas which pose a hazard to a pedestrian or road user should be repaired in a reasonable period of time following inspection. Where an authority is told of a defect by complaint then the duty to repair within a reasonable period arises from the time of notice. If the defect is less than 25 mm or 1 inch in depth it is unlikely to result in a successful claim.

If you do trip on a public pavement or road then it is always helpful to take photographs of the defect. Placing a measurable item such as a 10p piece (which is 25mm) in the defect can help to establish depth before a repair is undertaken. It is equally important to note the exact location where you tripped.

Shops & supermarkets

In shops and supermarkets incidents are more commonly caused by temporary hazards such as spillages. A shop keeper would be expected to clean up a spillage in a reasonable time. If they don't then they may be held responsible for your injury. If you do have an accident in a shop or supermarket make sure that this is reported to a staff member and noted in the accident book. If an investigation is started quickly enough then it is often possible to obtain CCTV footage of the incident which can help with the claim.

We're specialists you can trust

We are accredited by the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers and the Law Society of Scotland's Personal Injury Accreditation Scheme. We are also members of the Motor Accident Solicitors Society.

Accredited Personal Injury Specialist (1) Motor Accident Solicitors Society (1) Law Scotland Accredited Personal Injury (1)

Why choose us for your accident in public claim

Keep 100% of your compensation

Unlike our competitors if you use us for your personal injury compensation claim you keep 100% of your compensation. So if you're awarded £5,000 compensation, you receive £5,000.

We recover our fees from the other side so you keep all the compensation you are awarded. There are no costs for you so you have peace of mind using Harper Macleod.

Quick, efficient service

We try to settle each personal injury claim as quickly as possible but every case is different.

There are many factors which will determine how quickly we can settle your claim such as the severity of the injury and how long it takes to establish liability but in general we aim to resolve most claims in less than 9 months.

Our clients rate us as 9.5 out of 10 in terms of service & advice and 9 out of 10 customers would use us again and recommend us to friends & family.

No cost to you

Do not be confused by the phrase "No Win No Fee".  Often that means if you do win you receive less than 100% of your compensation.  We do not charge you a fee and we do not take any of your compensation. You can instruct us with confidence that there are costs for you.

Maximise your compensation

We will work hard for you to make sure you receive the maximum compensation you deserve. The value of your compensation will depend on the injury you sustained as a result of your accident and how long your symptoms last. 

We have a Personal Injury compensation calculator to let you know how much you could be due based on your injury.

More from Harper Macleod

Personal legal services

With one of Scotland's largest teams dealing with personal legal matters, we have specialist knowledge for every stage of your life - from buying a house to protecting your assets.

Learn more

Why choose us?

You don't need a lawyer - not many law firms will tell you that. What you need is someone to provide a solution, and our advisors are dedicated and flexible enough to do just that.

Learn more


We are one of Scotland's leading, most successful law firms but you don't have to take our word for it. Our performance has consistently been recognised by our peers.

Learn more