Stephen has a wide range of experience in corporate and corporate finance work, including mergers and acquisitions, management buy-outs, private equity, joint ventures and public offerings. He is recommended for Corporate and Commercial by Legal 500 where he has been described as "detailed-oriented and focused" and "very commercial".
Examples of his M&A experience include:
- Advising Low & Bonar plc on the Scottish aspects of its £107 million sale to German firm Freudenberg SE, a leading player in the global market for performance materials. The advice included all aspects of the Scottish scheme of arrangement which required the sanction of the Court of Session.
- Advising Port of Leith Housing Authority in its acquisiton of TBM Energy.
- Acting for Banwell & Associates in its acquistion of BMTS.
- Advising the shareholders of Whitespace in the sale of the whole issued share capital to Dentsu.
- Acting on the sale of Water Coolers (Scotland) Limited, a major supplier of water coolers in Scotland, in its sale to Eden Springs.
Stephen specialises in all different forms of partnership law and is the author of "A Practical Guide to Partnership Law in Scotland". He also heads up the firm’s Partnership Law team, which is recommended by Chambers UK legal directory. Stephen has been involved in the use of Scottish limited partnerships as investment vehicles, primarily to be used as property investment vehicles. One of his most recent deals was advising RPLP General Partner on a new Scottish limited partnership to be used for property development along the Glasgow waterfront, a deal which was highlighted by Chambers UK 2021.
Stephen also coordinates the China country desk, part of Harper Macleod's international offering. Some of the China deals he has advised on include the investment by Carbon Science in Edinburgh Bioscience, commercial agreements for Haoguang Biotechnology and the proposed purchase by a Chinese client of the business and assets of Kaiam.
Stephen is also a tutor on Commercial Contracts at Glasgow University, the Legal Secretary to the Edinburgh Comedy Awards and also previously acted as Company Secretary to two PLCs.
Qualifications: LLB (Hons) Dip LP
Joined the firm: 2014