James advises corporate clients and owner-managers on corporate transactions. He has wide experience of transactional corporate matters and focuses on mergers and acquisitions (M&A), disposals, investments (including venture capital transactions), shareholder arrangements, joint ventures, corporate reorganisations, demergers and succession planning.
Examples of deals which James has advised on include:
- Acting for the Tchibo group (one of the leading coffee and food service providers in Europe) on the acquisition of Scottish headquartered Mattew Algie.
- Acting for the founders of leading energy services firm Everwarm on its merger with Lakehouse (creating an enlarged group with annual sales of circa. £240m).
- Acting for the Indian-owned Hero group on the sale of HEROtsc to the French based private equity backed Webhelp group (£77m).
- Acting for the KKR backed Webhelp group on corporate transactions including acquisitions from Serco and the acquisition of OEE Consulting.
- Acting for the Balmer family on the sale of a 68-bed care home and 58 bed care home to Renaissance Care.
- Acting for Kent Foods on various transactions including the buy out of Connacht Gold, acquisition of Velgrove Foods, acquisition of Paramount Chocolate and acquisition of the Garrett Ingredients business.
- Acting for leading independent Scottish accountancy practice Campbell Dallas on the acquisition of its business by the Baldwins Group.
- Acting for Connelly Security Systems Limited (CSS) on the acquisition of owner managed security services businesses.
- Acting for the owner managers of Castle Computers on its sale to Kick ICT Group in a deal that was reported as creating Scotland's largest independent IT services business specialising in the SME market.
- Acting for various clients on group reorganisation projects including demergers, share buy backs and capital reductions.
He is a dual qualified solicitor in both Scotland and England & Wales.
Qualifications: LLB (Hons) Dip LP
Joined the firm: 2012