James predominantly advises clients in the family owned and owner managed sector. He has wide experience of transactional corporate matters and focuses on mergers and acquisitions (M&A), disposals, investments (with a focus on venture capital transactions), shareholder arrangements, joint ventures, corporate reorganisations, demergers, and succession planning.
Recent deals include:
- Acting for the founders of leading energy services firm Everwarm on its merger with Lakehouse (creating an enlarged group with annual sales of circa. £240m).
- Acting for the Indian-owned Hero group on the sale of HEROtsc (now rebranded as Webhelp UK) to the French based private equity backed Webhelp group (£77m).
- Acting for Highlands & Islands Enterprise on the sale of the operating company of the Cairngorm Mountain ski resort to Natural Retreats.
- Acting for Kent Foods Limited and its parent on recent transactions including the buy out of Connacht Gold, acquisition of Velgrove Foods and acquisition of Paramount Chocolate (£8.4m).
- Acting for Connelly Security Systems Limited (CSS) on acquisitions of security services businesses.
- Acting Wesley Owen Limited on the disposal of its Scottish and Northern Irish retail stores.
- Acting for the Scottish Motor Auctions group (SMA) on corporate restructuring and reorganisation projects.
- Acting for various clients on group reorganisation projects including demergers, share buy backs and capital reductions.
He is a dual qualified solicitor in both Scotland and England & Wales.
Qualifications: LLB (Hons) Dip LP
Joined the firm: 2012