Get measured expert and speedy advice when you need it the most
Being presented with a settlement agreement (formerly known as compromise agreements) by your employer can be unsettling and daunting. Though circumstances vary, you are most likely to receive a settlement agreement when your employer is suggesting bringing the employment to an end.
By law there is a legal requirement that a Solicitor reviews and explains the terms of the settlement agreement to you before you have to sign anything. So if you've been offered a settlement agreement by your employer we're happy to provide advice.
Turn around times are often tight for finalising settlement agreements and you may require legal support fast. We can almost always accommodate same-day appointments, including outside normal office hours.
We will explore any potential claims you may have (such as unfair dismissal, discrimination claims, a right to a redundancy payment, etc) and what you will be forgoing by signing the agreement.
With offices all over Scotland in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Thurso, Inverness, and Shetland our employment solicitors have been working hard to ensure clients understand their legal rights and remedies before signing up to settlement agreements or compromise agreements for over 15 years.
We have a number of Solicitors who are listed as 'Leaders' in the field by legal directories and accredited by the Law Society of Scotland as Employment Law specialists so you know your in safe hands.
We can provide sound practical advice in a sensitive and confidential manner. When making an important decision that affects you and your family, you need to know that you are in safe hands. Quality is at the heart of what we do.
Why use Harper Macleod to review your settlement agreement
- Complete transparency on fees: Most of the time employers will make a contribution to your legal cost (which will cover your fees) however if there is an additional cost we will always be upfront and transparent about our fees and would not do additional work without consulting you.
- Wherever you are based: Employment law is UK wide so we can advise in all settlement agreements whether your employer is based in Scotland or the rest of the UK.
- Near you: With offices all over Scotland in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Thurso, Inverness, and Lerwick you can come in a location near you to discuss your settlement in person.
- Quick appointments: We can almost always accommodate same-day appointments, including outside normal office hours.
- In safe hands: We have a number of Solicitors who are listed as 'Leaders in their field' by Chambers UK (Legal directory guide), so you know you're in safe hands. Check out the individual members of our employment team to see the breadth of their experience.
- Your opinion counts: When making an important decision that affects you and your family, you need to know that you are in safe hands and that we will always listen to your needs.
Our sectors experience
We can advise on your settlement agreement no matter what sector you are in, and have extensive experience in sectors including, but not limited to, the following:
- Banking and financial
- Energy and natural resources
- Information technology
- Life sciences
- Oil & gas
- Professional Services
- Property and construction
- Social care
- Third sector
- Transport and logistics
Send us details of your circumstances
Make sure you're getting a fair deal, speak to our employment team now. Call us on 0141 227 9680 or use the form below to send us your details for a chat about your settlement agreement.
Our blogs about settlement agreements
More from Harper Macleod
Visit the HM Insights page to keep up to date with changes to legislation, case law, and our views on other interesting developments in Scotland and the UK.
Want to be part of the future at one of Scotland's most progressive law firms? Talented colleagues are the key to our success, that's why we look after each other so well.
Personal legal services
With one of Scotland's largest teams dealing with personal legal matters, we have specialist knowledge for every stage of your life - from buying a house to protecting your assets.