Accident In Public Place Claims Solicitors

  • Free Legal Advice & No Upfront Costs
  • We Fight For Justice To Maximise Your Compensation
  • Support, Medical Care & Help For You & Your Family
  • Our Specialists Know How Insurers Work
  • Claim For Personal Injury - No Win No Fee Claims

Freephone Or Enquire Online To Claim For Personal Injury With No Win No Fee.

Send us details

Accidents In Public Place Compensation Claims

Claim for An Accident In A Public Place With No Win No Fee

If you've had an accident in a public place then you may be able to make a claim against the responsible party.

Common injuries suffered as a result of an accident in a public place include broken bones, torn muscles or bruises.

You may suffer a range of injuries, some of which may have a significant impact on your life. You may need to take time off work to recover from your injuries.

What is an Accident in a Public Place?

Some of the locations for successful claims for slips, trips and falls include

  • pavement & roads
  • shops, supermarkets & shopping centres
  • pubs, restaurants & nightclubs
  • car parks
  • gyms, horse riding schools & swimming pools
  • schools, colleges and universities
  • offices

How to claim for an Accident in a Public Place?

Our specialist accident lawyers will intimate the details of your claim as quickly as possible after the accident has happened. The details of the accident and injury will be sent to the party who is at fault and/or their insurance company.

If you have been injured by someone else's negligence in a public place then you may be able to make a claim under that person's household insurance policy. Similarly if we can show that the defect has been present and there is a failure by a company, contractor or local authority to provide a safe environment for the public then we may be able to successfully pursue your case.

Some insurers will often to try settle your injury claim directly with you and this can mean that you can receive less compensation than you should. If we represent you we will advise you appropriately should this happen.

We will ingather details of your losses, any documents that we need to prove your case and will contact witnesses as soon as possible.

How long do I have to claim after an Accident in a Public Place?

The time limit for settling a case is usually three years after the accident. However, in terms of the compulsory Scottish pre-action protocol your claim should be intimated as soon as possible.

If a child is involved in a public place the timescale for raising a court action will be three years following their 16th birthday.

No Win No Fee - Funding your Personal Injury claim

For clients who do not have the benefit of Legal Expense Insurance (“LEI”) we deal with claims on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning you pay nothing if your case is unsuccessful. Even if you have LEI there is no requirement for you to accept the solicitors chosen by your insurers. You have the right to “freedom of choice”  if you feel they do not have the expertise for your claim or even the right location.

Our experience has led to:

  • Helping thousands of people like you fight for justice
  • No Win No Fee claims 
  • Helping with Rehabilitation with specialist contacts
  • Securing over £20m for our clients in the last 18 months
  • 9 out of 10 customers would use us again and recommend us to friends & family based on client feedback

What can be included in my a Public Place Claim?

We can claim compensation for any injury you suffer including, fracturesscarring, tinnitus and psychological trauma. You may also be able to claim for general out of pocket expenses, loss of earnings, care and assistance required and various other expenses.

When can I make a compensation claim?

  • If the accident was in the last three years
  • If someone else was at fault
  • If you have suffered injury and/or been off work as a result of the accident
  • If you are out of pocket for miscellaneous expenses

Why use Harper Macleod for your Accident in a public place claim?

We are accident and injury experts and have one of the largest personal injury departments in Scotland with over 25 personal injury specialists covering the whole of Scotland, offices in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverness, Thurso and Lerwick, and we offer a no win no fee. 

Get in touch with our Accident Claims Team

We provide a free initial consultation and you can contact us by filling out the claims form below with details of your accident/injury or:

Enquire Online

By completing this form you agree to Harper Macleod's Privacy Notice.

More information about a possible Slip or Trip Claim

What's the difference between slipping & tripping?

Slipping - you stepped forward, your heel making contact with the floor and as your weight transferred, your foot slipped due to a substance on the ground.

Tripping - your foot stopped suddenly from moving forward as a result of an obstruction or raised surface.

When can I make a compensation claim?

If you have tripped or slipped as a result of someone else's fault then you may be able to make a claim against the responsible party.

It is important to remember that it may be suggested that the accident was partly your fault. Many things can be taken into consideration such as inappropriate footwear or not paying attention to where you are walking. If you are found to have caused or contributed to your own injury then any compensation would be reduced.

Examples of typical claims

Local authorities

In general terms a local authority will usually have responsibility for roads and pavements. They are obliged to maintain roads and pavements by visual inspection at reasonable intervals. Any areas which pose a hazard to a pedestrian or road user should be repaired in a reasonable period of time following inspection. Where an authority is told of a defect by complaint then the duty to repair within a reasonable period arises from the time of notice. If the defect is less than 25 mm or 1 inch in depth it is unlikely to result in a successful claim.

If you do trip on a public pavement or road then it is always helpful to take photographs of the defect. Placing a measurable item such as a 10p piece (which is 25mm) in the defect can help to establish depth before a repair is undertaken. It is equally important to note the exact location where you tripped.

Shops & supermarkets

In shops and supermarkets incidents are more commonly caused by temporary hazards such as spillages. A shop keeper would be expected to clean up a spillage in a reasonable time. If they don't then they may be held responsible for your injury. If you do have an accident in a shop or supermarket make sure that this is reported to a staff member and noted in the accident book. If an investigation is started quickly enough then it is often possible to obtain CCTV footage of the incident which can help with the claim.

We're specialists you can trust

We are accredited by the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers and the Law Society of Scotland's Personal Injury Accreditation Scheme. We are also members of the Motor Accident Solicitors Society.

Accredited Personal Injury Specialist (1) Motor Accident Solicitors Society (1) Law Scotland Accredited Personal Injury (1)

More from Harper Macleod

Personal legal services

With one of Scotland's largest teams dealing with personal legal matters, we have specialist knowledge for every stage of your life - from buying a house to protecting your assets.

Learn more

Why choose us?

You don't need a lawyer - not many law firms will tell you that. What you need is someone to provide a solution, and our advisors are dedicated and flexible enough to do just that.

Learn more


We are one of Scotland's leading, most successful law firms but you don't have to take our word for it. Our performance has consistently been recognised by our peers.

Learn more