Coronavirus advice for business
There is no disputing that we are all currently in uncharted waters. Franchising has always been a giving industry and our need to support and learn from each other, especially in relation to our duties to our employees, our franchisees, our suppliers and our customers as well as other stakeholders in our businesses, is greater than ever.
Keen to play our part, together with Platinum Wave consultancy and others , we have formed a group called the Franchise Advisory Board. We will be holding a weekly conference call at 12 noon to give essential business guidance and advice and to share your thoughts and initiatives with each other in this unprecedented business climate.
We will have Franchise Consultants, Solicitors and Banks on hand to help guide the conversations, and we very much hope that this can continue to run on a weekly basis for the foreseeable future.
This is your chance to get advice on the issues affecting you and your network right now, so all your questions will be welcomed. We anticipate that the call will certainly include guidance on the following pertinent issues:
- What are my duties and obligations as both a Franchisor and as an employer?
- How do I approach contractual disputes and force majeure clauses?
- What can I do in relation to Business Continuity and can I invoke a business interruption claim in my insurance policy?
- How far should I go to support my franchisees – finance, stock, payment holidays, staffing?
- Importance of strong leadership
- Contingency planning – supply chains, staffing policies, working hours, offering reduced or deferred services
This is invite only so if you wish to join please email David Kaye using his details below.
- Coronavirus: enforcement of gender pay gap reporting is suspended
- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme and furloughed workers - what you need to know
- What do employers and employees do about holidays during the outbreak?
- How to keep track of the most up-to-date, official coronavirus advice
- What responsibilities do employers have regarding employees and the Coronavirus?
- Coronavirus: deferment of UK tax
- Coronavirus update – have you asked your bank about the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme?
- Coronavirus advice for business – have you spoken to your bank?
- Coronavirus: update for businesses on Government support package
- 10 key legal points for employers due to Coronavirus schools closure
Key contact - David Kaye
David is an affiliate member of the British Franchise Association (BFA) and acts as legal advisor to the BFA Franchise Group in Scotland. He was the first Scottish Lawyer recognised as a 'Qualified Franchise Professional' by the BFA. View full profile.
The franchising legal specialists
Our specialist franchising team is ranked among the top franchising lawyers not only in Scotland, with offices in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverness, Thurso, Shetland and Elgin, but across the UK and can assist you if you are thinking about franchising your business, buying a franchise or master franchise opportunity or expanding overseas through franchising.
Accredited BFA Lawyers
The lawyers in our team are British Franchise Association (BFA) accredited and have extensive experience of helping many different types of franchisors and franchisees both in the UK and internationally.
In addition to our knowledge of franchising law, we are heavily involved in the wider franchising community in the UK. We are founding members of franchising support groups such as FranchiseEurope, The Franchise Gap and the Retail Gap.
We advise on all aspects of your franchising strategy, business format, and drafting the key documentation to formalise the franchise relationship including, most importantly, the Franchise Agreement - the document which will regulate the relationship between you, the franchisor, and your franchisees.
We can also:
- Assist with the registration and protection of your Trade Marks
- Draft and advise on any necessary ancillary documentation such as Confidentiality Agreements, Deposit Agreements and Trade Mark Licences
- Provide advice and assistance with expanding overseas through franchising
- Review your franchisee recruitment material to help you guard against any misrepresentation claims
- Make introductions to other specialists in the franchising industry and wider business community
Some of our key clients include German Doner Kebab, Yoyabellies, Barrhead Travel, Jenny Packham, Baguette Express, Wrapchic, Coldwell Banker GB, Defence Lab, Raring2 Go!, Swipii, iCafe, The Car Wash Company and more.
We are always happy to make introductions to other specialists in the franchising industry that you may require such as accountants, consultants, insurance brokers and banks.
We offer a free initial consultation to anyone seeking franchise legal advice. We are always competitively priced, pleased to discuss costs with you and, where appropriate, will endeavour to agree a fixed fee for our involvement.
Established Franchising Support
For all your Franchising needs you can view, download and save our new helpful Franchising Team Contacts Sheet. View our contacts for:
We're Always Here to Help
A strong bench of specialists advising franchisors and franchisees on the full range of commercial and contentious matters. Offers deep expertise in franchise growth, international expansion, resales and disputes. Possesses a noteworthy client list, including significant food, retail, leisure, and health and fitness sector clients. Client say: "They are very helpful and always there for any advice we need." Chambers UK 2021
Call us for free on 0330 159 5555 or complete our online form below for legal advice or to arrange a call back.
Podcast - Understanding the legal aspects of Franchising
Check out our first part of our Franchising Fridays Podcast Series. The first of our 4 part series comes from Harper Macleod Partner & Head of Retail & Franchising David Kaye on Understanding the Legal Aspects of Franchising. Watch and listen online here.
Meet the franchising team
More from Harper Macleod
Why choose us?
You don't need a lawyer - not many law firms will tell you that. What you need is someone to provide a solution, and our advisors are dedicated and flexible enough to do just that.
Personal legal services
With one of Scotland's largest teams dealing with personal legal matters, we have specialist knowledge for every stage of your life - from buying a house to protecting your assets.
We are one of Scotland's leading, most successful law firms but you don't have to take our word for it. Our performance has consistently been recognised by our peers.