Dispute Resolution Solicitors
Coronavirus advice for business
The Scottish Courts and Tribunal Service have now stated that only urgent civil business (which includes the seeking of interim orders) will take place whilst restrictions imposed by Government remain in force. Court business across Scotland has been centralised to ten courts. For ongoing actions, that means that unless and until the process catches up with the restrictions, obligations to lodge and intimate documents will continue to apply.
We can assist you in ensuring that you meet all formal requirements of litigation across all of Scotland's courts and tribunals.
- Coronavirus Ramblings: What is "responsible access" during lockdown?
- Creative Scotland is not an "undertaking" under the Competition Act 1998
- Intolerable Isolation: Dealing with Neighbour Disputes during Covid-19
- Stay at home: what the Coronavirus (Scotland) Bill means for tenants facing eviction
- Is Covid-19 frustrating (your contracts)?
- Coronavirus: death and illness in a Scottish partnership
- Implications of the Coronavirus Outbreak: Planning and Building Standards
- How to keep track of the most up-to-date, official coronavirus advice
- Closure of construction sites due to coronavirus: situation in Scotland and England
- Force majeure and frustration in a coronavirus world – dealing with commercial contracts
- Court Practice during the Coronavirus lockdown and what it means for you
- Coronavirus: end to residential tenancy disputes and problems for landlord income
Key contact - Andrew Upton
Andrew advises clients across both public and private sectors in relation to all litigious matters. His experience incorporates litigation at Sheriff Court and Court of Session level, principally contractual and property disputes, as well as actions at both the Scottish Land Court and the Lands Tribunal for Scotland.
Andrew regularly represents clients in the Sheriff Courts throughout Scotland, including Commercial Actions, and at the Lands Tribunal for Scotland and Scottish Land Court. View full profile.
From litigation to mediation, we are on your side
At Harper Macleod we have one of the largest teams of dispute resolution solicitors in Scotland. More than half of our solicitors are involved regularly in contentious work - giving us a breadth of litigation expertise which sets us apart.
We are renowned for the range and quality of our dispute resolution expertise, which is as wide as the firm’s full service offering, and our team includes some of the country’s most talented disputes practitioners.
Working out of our main offices in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness, we represent clients in every sector including insurance, banking, real estate & construction, energy & natural resources, retail, sport and the public sector.
We also have one of the most prominent teams in the Commercial Court in both the Court of Session and Sheriff Court and have been involved in a number of the most complex litigations in Scottish courts in recent years.
We also have extensive expertise in representing the firm’s clients, in both the public and private sectors, in proceedings for judicial review, statutory appeals and public enquiries involving issues of administrative, planning and environmental law.
Our approach to dispute resolution and litigation
When it comes to resolving disputes, we work hard to understand what matters to your business and how you would define success. Then we fight hard to ensure you achieve it.
Our team has a track record of out-thinking, out-manoeuvring and out-performing our opponents. We’re tenacious, and our clients can trust that their lawyers are driven to deliver on their behalf. Astute strategic thinking, forensic attention to detail and real commercial insight are the cornerstones of our approach.
Our Partner-led team has real strength in depth, providing commercially focused, pragmatic solutions, while our model ensures clients deal directly with a partner throughout, as a matter of course.
Alternative dispute resolution
We work closely with clients to identify areas of high risk – and and help them to anticipate and manage risks before they become contentious. If the best strategy is to avoid court then our team is highly experienced in securing solutions to contentious issues via mediation, adjudication, expert determination and arbitration.
Call us for free on 0330 159 5555 or complete our online form below for legal advice or to arrange a call back.
Our core dispute resolution services include:
Meet the team
Related Business services
- Coronavirus advice for business
- Business law & contracts
- Brands & trade marks
- Banking & finance
- Construction & engineering
- Planning & environmental
- Restructuring & insolvency
- Commercial Property
- Infrastructure & projects
- Renewable projects
- Public sector
- Charities & social enterprise
- Health & safety
- Debt recovery
- Employment law for employers
- Insurance & risk
- EU, regulatory & procurement
- Intellectual property & technology
More from Harper Macleod
Why choose us?
You don't need a lawyer - not many law firms will tell you that. What you need is someone to provide a solution, and our advisors are dedicated and flexible enough to do just that.
Personal legal services
With one of Scotland's largest teams dealing with personal legal matters, we have specialist knowledge for every stage of your life - from buying a house to protecting your assets.
Visit the HM Insights page to keep up to date with changes to legislation, case law, and our views on other interesting developments in Scotland and the UK.