Alcohol, gambling and civic licensing law advice
Our team has extensive experience in all aspects of licensing law in Scotland, and is recognised as one of the country’s leading practices.
We have specialist knowledge of all forms of alcohol, gambling and civic government licensing and can also help you with any licensing board appearance work.
We advise both private and public sector clients, ranging from owner-operators to public limited companies.
Licensing clients include pubs, nightclubs, bookmakers, hotels, restaurants, brewers, manufacturers, retailers, wholesalers, filling stations, convenience stores, landlords, taxi operators and more.
Why choose us for licensing law advice?
Led by some of Scotland’s leading licensing lawyers, our knowledge of complex legislation across all sectors, allied to comprehensive and practical advice, ensures we make it simple for you to keep on top of what is required.
With offices in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Inverness, our solicitors represent clients across the length and breadth of Scotland, utililising strong relationships and working knowledge in all 32 local authority areas to ensure you receive the best, most effective representation wherever you are.
If you would like to discuss any licensing issues you have, and get an idea of the timescale and cost involved, please contact a member of our team.
We are ranked in the top tier for Licensing by Chambers UK Guide to the Legal Profession with Andrew Hunter regarded as a ‘Leader in the Field’, and an accredited specialist by the Law Society of Scotland in Liquor Licensing law.
Thank you for your enquiry. Someone from our team will be in touch with you in due course.
Key licensing services
- Obtaining a new premise licence
- Variations and transfer of premises licences
- Personal licences
- Purchase and sale and leasing of licensed premises
- Advice on licensing appeals
Dealing with regulations and authorities
We ensure that you are never on your own when dealing with licensing regulation or authorities. We can assist with:
- Attending the licensing boards and licensing committees on your behalf across Scotland
- Dealing with licensing appeals in the Sheriff Court and Court of Session
- Assisting you where criminal proceedings and review hearings have been brought against you for breach of any licensing obligations
- Obtaining a new operator’s licence, premises licence or personal licence
- Variations and transfer of licences
- Gaming permits for alcohol and club licensed premises
- Advice on licensing appeals
- Public entertainment licences
- Houses with multiple occupation licences
- Taxi licensing, including vehicle, driver and booking office licences
- Theatre licenses
- Late hours catering licences
- Permissions to host marriage ceremonies on non-religious premises
Clients say Andrew Hunter provides "an open and frank assessment upfront without going into a myriad of trivial detail."
“Rod McKenzie ‘is fantastic at betting work, an excellent licensing solicitor, very intuitive and always gives measured responses’. His impressive practice leads him to be seen as ‘one of the best lawyers in Scotland’ for this type of work.”Chambers UK
More from Harper Macleod
Why choose us?
You don't need a lawyer - not many law firms will tell you that. What you need is someone to provide a solution, and our advisors are dedicated and flexible enough to do just that.
Personal legal services
With one of Scotland's largest teams dealing with personal legal matters, we have specialist knowledge for every stage of your life - from buying a house to protecting your assets.
Visit the HM Insights page to keep up to date with changes to legislation, case law, and our views on other interesting developments in Scotland and the UK.