Scotland's leading team for sports law advice
Name a sport and the chances are that we advise its individual competitors, clubs, governing body – or maybe all three.
Recognised as Scotland’s leading sport law firm for more than 25 years, we advise on every aspect of the law as it relates to the sporting world.
From individual disciplinary matters to multi-million pound commercial contracts, we offer a complete service – the fact that we were appointed as Official Legal Advisers to both the Glasgow 2018 European Championships and the 2014 Commonwealth Games is testament to that.
Sport is bigger business than ever before and the issues faced by those operating in the sector are numerous and complex. What happens off the field of play is intrinsically linked to what happens in the arena, in competition and at grassroots.
We share our clients’ passion for sport and work in partnership with them to combine this deep knowledge and understanding with the commercial approach we are renowned for.
Our Sports Law Team brings together a number of dedicated sports law specialists and recognised market leaders, including Scotland's only Eminent Practitioner in Sports Law, Professor Lorne Crerar. This team advises leading sporting competitors and organisations on issues arising at local, national and international levels.
It’s not only high-profile matters, or the ‘Royal Flush of governing bodies’ as Chambers UK described our client list. Our experience spans the full spectrum of sports including: football, rugby, skiing, ice hockey, shinty, curling, karate, rowing, gymnastics, netball, swimming, snowsports, triathlon, tennis, wrestling and many more.
“Harper Macleod has long been a trailblazer and it remains the undisputed heavyweight of Scottish sports law." "Exceptional group of lawyers receiving regular instructions from the biggest names in Scottish and international sport." "Handles the full remit of sports law for an impressive client roster of international federations, national governing bodies, tournament organisers, clubs, sporting professionals and sports representatives."
Call us for free on 0330 159 5555 or complete our online form below for legal advice or to arrange a call back.
Key sports services
The group provides a complete service and has unrivalled experience in niche areas including:
- Sports governance
- Sponsorship agreements, partnership agreements and advertising
- Representation before sports tribunals, mediation and the Court of Arbitration for Sport
- Restructuring and mergers of governing bodies
- Image rights
- Protection and exploitation of intellectual property rights
- Commercial advisory including revenue streams
- Broadcasting agreements, both traditional and new media (domestic and overseas)
- Use of trusts, SCIOs, charities and fund-raising in sport
- Ticketing arrangements
- Immigration issues
- Player/athlete eligibility
- Litigation and dispute resolution
- Child protection and protection of vulnerable adults
- Tournament / event regulation including participation agreements
- On- and off-field disciplinary issues
- Employment issues
- Anti-doping policy and regulation
- Data protection issues in sport including medical records
Meet the team
More from Harper Macleod
Why choose us?
You don't need a lawyer - not many law firms will tell you that. What you need is someone to provide a solution, and our advisors are dedicated and flexible enough to do just that.
Personal legal services
With one of Scotland's largest teams dealing with personal legal matters, we have specialist knowledge for every stage of your life - from buying a house to protecting your assets.
Visit the HM Insights page to keep up to date with changes to legislation, case law, and our views on other interesting developments in Scotland and the UK.