Scotland's leading team for sports law advice
Name a sport and the chances are that we advise its individual competitors, clubs, governing body – or maybe all three.
Recognised as Scotland’s leading sport law firm for more than 20 years, we advise on every aspect of the law as it relates to the sporting world.
From individual disciplinary matters to multi-million pound commercial contracts, we offer a complete service – our successful three-year long role as legal advisers to the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games is testament to that.
Sport is bigger business than ever before and the issues faced by those operating in the sector are numerous and complex. What happens off the field of play is intrinsically linked to what happens in the arena, in competition and at grassroots.
We share our clients’ passion for sport and work in partnership with them to combine this deep knowledge and understanding with the commercial approach we are renowned for.
Our team has advised leading sporting competitors and organisations on issues arising at local, national and international levels.
It’s not only high-profile matters, or the ‘Royal Flush of governing bodies’ as Chambers UK described our client list. Our experience spans the full spectrum of sports including: football, rugby, skiing, ice hockey, shinty, curling, karate, rowing, gymnastics, netball, swimming, snowsports, triathlon, tennis, wrestling and many more.
“Harper Macleod has long been a trailblazer for sports law in Scotland, and it remains the undisputed heavyweight of Scottish sports law.
Its members have an unparalleled breadth and depth of expertise, and major clients from within Scottish sport continue to turn to the group for the full raft of legal needs, including regulatory, disciplinary, governance and commercial.”
Key sports services
The group provides a complete service and has unrivalled experience in niche areas including:
- Sports governance
- Sponsorship agreements, partnership agreements and advertising
- Representation before sports tribunals, mediation and the Court of Arbitration for Sport
- Restructuring and mergers of governing bodies
- Image rights
- Protection and exploitation of intellectual property rights
- Commercial advisory including revenue streams
- Broadcasting agreements, both traditional and new media (domestic and overseas)
- Use of trusts, SCIOs, charities and fund-raising in sport
- Ticketing arrangements
- Immigration issues
- Player/athlete eligibility
- Litigation and dispute resolution
- Child protection and protection of vulnerable adults
- Tournament / event regulation including participation agreements
- On- and off-field disciplinary issues
- Employment issues
- Anti-doping policy and regulation
- Data protection issues in sport including medical records
Meet the team
More from Harper Macleod
Why choose us?
You don't need a lawyer - not many law firms will tell you that. What you need is someone to provide a solution, and our advisors are dedicated and flexible enough to do just that.
Personal legal services
With one of Scotland's largest teams dealing with personal legal matters, we have specialist knowledge for every stage of your life - from buying a house to protecting your assets.
Visit the HM Insights page to keep up to date with changes to legislation, case law, and our views on other interesting developments in Scotland and the UK.