From 10 October 2020 Companies House will resume the process of striking off companies if they believe are no longer carrying on business or in operation. If a company is struck off, all its assets will automatically belong to the Crown.
Companies House generally forms the view that a company isn't operational/carrying on business if:
- deadlines for company filings (in particular confirmation statements and accounts) are not met;
- letters sent by Companies House are returned undelivered; or
- the company has no directors.
Are your filings up to date?
Companies House have adopted a number of measures to tackle the challenges presented by COVID-19 with a view to maintaining services and supporting businesses such as:
- Forms with a 14-day deadline for submission, such as confirmation statements, have been automatically extended to 42 days. The filing deadline extensions are a temporary measure.
- Extending accounts filing deadlines for filing deadlines any time from 27 June 2020 to 5 April 2021 (including these dates). The extension for Private Companies and LLPs being from nine to 12 months. Please note due to the COVID-19 accounts filing extensions, Companies House are expecting that the submission of accounts in the first quarter of 2021 will double and therefore delays in processing are expected. You can file certain accounts online with Companies House to avoid these delays. Please see guidance here.
- Creation of an emergency online filing system allowing for more documentation, such as resolutions and articles of association, to be filed electronically. Access the service here.
- The option to request that your company's authentication code for online filing is sent to your home address if you are unable to access your company’s registered office address. Again, this is a temporary measure. Request the code here.
You can sign up to the Companies House email reminder service for filing your accounts and confirmation statement so you avoid missing a deadline. Set up reminders here.
Get in touch – we're here to help
Don’t risk your company being struck off due to filing issues. If you require any assistance with your filings, we are here to help.