The Harper Macleod home room for all your WFH essentials.
Bringing you the best guides & tips in one place for WFH.
Ideas & activities for you & the family during isolation.
Effective ways to keep in contact with your customers.
Being apart together
The family of Harper Macleod has always been an extremely important part of the firm's ethos and the strength of our connections has never been more important than in the current circumstances.
Our primary concern is the health and wellbeing of everyone – including colleagues, clients and the communities within which we work. You can call it community spirit, or corporate citizenship or simply looking out for one another when it counts – it's about leading by example and sticking together.
We know this will be a testing time for many people. That's why we have created The HM home room as a positive response to what's going on in all of our worlds.
What is the HM home room?
The home room is a community, a club that's free to join where we can share insight, knowledge and tips to help take the isolation out of self-isolation.
Here you'll find a focus on wellbeing and links to resources which enable everyone to stay active, healthy and mindful while we're apart. You'll also find a range of practical tips for working from home, whether you live alone or have family around you – especially children of school age who will need to be kept busy and active through the days and evenings to come.
This is just the start. We'd love you to share any other great links, tips or resources that you feel would benefit others and we'll make them available for everyone.
Practical guides to help you WFH
Working at home is the new normal – and not just for those used to heading into an office or elsewhere, but also for those who have kids and find themselves in a home school environment. Whether you're dealing with yourself or with kids, it's important to have some ground rules, a basic structure so that your days are productive (and you don't start climb the walls at being stuck inside).
It's also good to know that you don't have to reinvent the wheel or come up with new ideas all the time. There are some great websites and resources out there which can help you get to grips with working at home, and also keep the kids in line (and entertained).
Use the drop down sections below to access some that we've gathered. And if you find any more, please let us know and we'll add them to the lists. Click here to submit your ideas.
1. The Wikipedia for Remote Working
2. 11 Best practices for working remotely
3. OMG I'm working remotely, now what?
4. FYI's 180 Tips for Remote Work
5. Zapier's guide to working remotely
6. Morale, Mental Health and Avoiding Burnout
7. How to set up your desk
8. Using your iPhone to scan and email documents
Maximum Performance - Working from home webinars
1. How to stay connected with your colleagues while working from home
2. How to stay connected to the office when you work remotely - 3 Tips
3. How to work remotely and remain connected
4. Here's how to stay productive and connected while you work from home
5. How to stay connected while working remotely
6. Great British Home Chorus with Gareth Malone
7. Ofcom: Stay connected during the Coronavirus
1. How to work at home with Children?
2. The Remote Working Parent's Survival Guide
3. Integrating Work and family - 21 tips working at home with kids
4. A Remote Working Guide for Parents
5. 5 tips to balance remote working while your family is also at home
6. Shona Crawford - COVID-19 We set some ground rules
Offering parents of children one month all access membership. Home learning packs offered.
Learn at home is providing 20 days’ worth of active learning journeys
Offering free access to both Purple Mash and Serial Mash whilst schools are closed
Offering their new BETA site Classroom Secrets Kids completely free to support home learning
Dyslexia Gold Phonics
Ofering a free spelling tutor for pupils to access at home
Offering premium access to their objective focussed educational games most suitable for 3-5 year olds.
The Active Educator
Maths and literacy games
TTS Group - Reading materials
Mr McMaking Memories
Extra Literacy and Reading resources
YouTube Super Power word playlist of videos / game ideas
Phonics / alphabet song Boom Shake the Alphabet
The Imagination Tree
Survival guide – planning, play and learning ideas for self isolation
Free downloadable home teaching packs
https://scratch.mit.edu/explore/projects/games/ Creative computer programming
National Geographic Kids
The Kids Should See This
Crash Course Kids
Paw Print Badges
Oxford Owl for Home
Big History Project
Blue Peter Badges
The Artful Parent
Red Ted Art
DK Find Out
How do you continue to run your business during the coronavirus lockdown? As a firm that works with some of Scotland's leading entrepreneurs and high-growth businesses and SMEs, we are teaming up with them to get their advice on the best way to work from home and keep things going during a difficult time.
To kick things off we are delighted to have Gayle Mann of Misadventures in Entrepreneurship provide insight on what you and your business should be doing right now.
- Coronavirus: How good PR and communications is vital to avoid the ‘Court of Public Opinion’ - Article provided by John Morrison, managing director of Morrison Media
- More relatable role models please - Article provided by Gayle Mann, Co-Founder at Misadventures In Entrepreneuring
- You are an entrepreneur. Yes YOU. Article provided by Lucy-Rose Walker, Co-Founder at Misadventures In Entrepreneuring
- At last we can finally stop hiding our humanness - Article provided by Gayle Mann, Co-Founder at Misadventures In Entrepreneuring
- I just need a plan - Article provided by Gayle Mann, Co-Founder at Misadventures In Entrepreneuring
Paula is recommended as a "Leader in the Field" in corporate law in Scotland where she is described as having "a particular specialism in advising start-ups, entrepreneurs and investors." She is recognised for her expertise in crowdfunding, and a market insider reports: "There are no gaps in her knowledge or understanding of the market." (Chambers UK). The Legal 500 regards her as a "Next Generation Partner" and The Law magazine listed her in the Hot 100 of Lawyers for 2015 across the UK (the only lawyer from a Scottish firm to be listed). View full profile.
Wellbeing - activities for you and the family
Wellbeing for you and your family is always important, but even more so now that you will be at home together for much more time than usual. Now is the time to take up the activities you'd wanted to do for some time, or to find new ways of keeping you in great shape physically and mentally.
Below you'll find a range of activities to keep you and the family active and healthy. Some of which are favourites of our colleagues.
Give them and try and please let us know how you got on, or if you have any other good ideas that aren't included here.
P.E with Joe Wicks
- P.E with Joe - YouTube Video work outs
- Dance classes with Scottish Ballet for those living with Parkinsons, Multiple Sclerosis, Dementia and 60+ -Monday to Thursday 11.30am and Family Barre on a Friday
- Dance classes with Oti Mabuse - Youtube, instagram or Facebook live at 11.30am for kids and 07.00pm for adults
- Prana Yoga Studio - introduction to Yoga (part 1)
- Prana Yoga Studio - sun salutations for absolute beginners (part 2)
- Prana Yoga Studio - yoga flow (part 3)
- Prana Yoga Studio - guided relaxation (part 4)
- Down Dog Apps - Yoga & Barre workouts at home (Free until May 1st)
We welcome the Glasgow Warriors to the HM home room with some homemade cooking recipes from Chris Fusaro.
Who wants to TRY making a banana pancake? View how to make the tasty treat on YouTube here. Here Chris is joined with his kids (sous chefs), Freddie and Sofia, to make a healthy snack/breakfast - the banana pancake.
Who wants to TRY making Steak Ramen? View how to make it on our YouTube channel here. This time around Chris shows us another of his signature dishes, his Steak 'Cheat' Ramen! So put the kids to bed, grab a drink and enjoy a night in with some delicious food!
Who wants to TRY making Greek Style Flatbread ? View how to make it on our YouTube channel here. This time around Chris shows us another of his signature dishes, his Greek Style Flatbread! Perfect for lunch of dinner at the weekend.