Glasgow 2018 European Championships
Proud legal advisers & supporters to Glasgow 2018 European Championships
In March 2017 we were appointed as the Legal Adviser to Glasgow 2018 and with the Championships well under way we bring you the build up and everything you need to know right here.
Live Medal Table
Glasgow 2018 and the European Championships is well under way and what a Championships it has been already. You can find the latest on how each country is performing in the live medal table online here.
What is Glasgow 2018?
Glasgow 2018 is part of a new multi-sport event called the European Championships. The city is joint hosts of this year's Championships which will bring together some of the continenets leading sports including Athletics, Aquatics, Cycling, Gymnastics, Rowing, Golf and Triathlon.
What is the aim of the European Championships?
The aim of the games is to 'increase the level of awareness and recognition' that sporting achievements deserve by 'creating a must-watch, must-attend experience that elevates all Champions of Europe'. The championships is inpired by the like of swimmer Adam Peaty who won 4 gold medals and set 2 world records at the 2014 games. Not many had heard of Peaty before the games and the games is a way of increasing the profile of these stars whilst delivering an unforgettable and spectacular event for sport, the host cities and everyone involved.
What Sports will Glasgow 2018 host?
Glasgow was chosen as it's one of the world's top 10 sporting cities. With an international events programme and world class venues after the Glasgow 2014 commonwealth games, including the SSE Hydro and Emirates Arena, the city is well equipped to host any major sporting event. You can take a look at them here:
Bonnie the Seal - Glasgow 2018 Mascot
You may have seen a Seal wondering around Scotland promoting the games so far. This is Bonnie, Glasgow 2018 European Championships Mascot.
Where can I buy tickets for Glasgow 2018?
Tickets are now on sale and you can find out how to buy them on the Glasgow2018 website. As proud legal adviser for the Championships Harper Macleod will be running competitions to give you the chance to win tickets. To find out more about our competitions keep an eye out on our social channels, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and search for us on Instagram @harpermacleod.
When does the Championships start?
Thursday the 2nd of August the games start with Rowing and Women's Gymnastics kicking us off throughout the day with track Cycling starting in the evening. You can find the full schedule for the Championships online here.
Hosting City Facts
- Glasgow currently ranked number 5 in the world in the SportBusiness Ultimate Sports City Awards
- Glasgow was named the third best destination to visit in TripAdvisor’s Top Ten UK destinations in 2013
- Scottish tourism supports 29,000 jobs and the visitor economy is worth £11m
- Glasgow is home to more than 100 cultural organisations and is one of only 11 UNESCO Cities of Music worldwide
- Scotland has been voted the world’s Best Cinematic Destination by USA Today’s 10 Best Readers’ Choice Awards 2015
- Glasgow wasa voted the ‘friendliest city in the world’ in a Rough Guide poll
- It's also the home to Harper Macleod's Head Office which you can find on Gordon Street.
- The capital city of the Federal Republic of Germany has a population of 3.5 million
- The German capital is the second largest city in the European Union in terms of its population and the fifth largest in terms of its area
- Berlin is Germany’s no. 1 tourist destination and is the third most popular in all of Europe
- Berlin has 175 museums
- Berlin features three UNESCO World Heritage sites and has been named an UNESCO city of design. It is the only city in the world with three active opera houses
- Berlin has about 150 theatres and stages offering performances in all genres
- The Berlinale, one of the most popular film festivals in Europe celebrates its 65th birthday this year
- Six professional clubs playing in five disciplines make Berlin the German capital for sport