We take our corporate social responsibilities seriously
HM Community, our CSR programme, was created to help the firm achieve its strategic objectives and is central to ensuring our continued success.
The firm commitment to CSR was recognised when we lifted the Corporate Social Responsibility Award at the Scottish Business Awards 2015 - the biggest event of its kind ever held in Scotland, which was addressed by Hollywood star George Clooney
Our commitment and principles
In our work and behaviour, we strive to apply these important principles:
- To behave ethically;
- To contribute positively to our economic and natural environment; and
- To improve the quality of life for our three main stakeholder groups.
We understand that, both collectively and individually, we should seek to have a positive influence on our three key stakeholder groups:
- Our own people;
- The legal profession ; and
- The communities in which we, and our clients’, work.
Our CSR Group encourages all staff to get involved in a range of HM Community initiatives in order that they increase their awareness and understanding, develop their own skills, and provide support to a range of charities and projects.
We were winners of the Corporate Social Responsibility Award at the Scottish Business Awards 2015 - the biggest event of its kind ever held in Scotland.
HM Community in action
Healthy workplace - creating an inclusive, healthy, safe and stimulating work environment
The promotion of health and wellbeing has become part of the firm's culture. Our health initiatives and 'Healthy Workplace’ campaign aim to increase health awareness, address any concerns, and improve the general health of our workforce as we adopt healthier choices in both our work and personal lives, and also pass on the benefits to family and friends.
We are committed to work life balance and have a range of flexible working opportunities, with many of our employees/Partners currently working flexible, part time or reduced hours, and working from home. We offer a childcare vouchers scheme to help working parents to make a saving on childcare costs. We also appreciate the difficulties of balancing studying with work and home life and offer paid study leave for those undertaking further or higher qualifications.
Law schools - enriching the skills of our profession
We encourage our lawyers to give something back to the profession, currently we have 17 of our solicitors lecture at different universities throughout Scotland
We're also proud to encourage excellence by sponsoring the Commercial Banking (Honours) Prize at the Glasgow University Law School: it's awarded to the best student of the class in their year.
Community initiatives & pro bono advice - citizenship is about more than words
We undertake initiatives in the community and use our skills and resources to support people in need and to improve access to justice, encouraging our Partners and staff to involve themselves in community projects. We provide a wide range of pro bono legal services to community and charitable organisations. A number of our Partners sit on the governing bodies of charitable and not-for-profit bodies, while all HM staff are given up to two CSR days per annum for charitable/voluntary work.
Nominated charities - striving to make a meaningful difference
We support a variety of charitable organisations, not only in terms of cash donations but also through donating time and ongoing support to support their projects. We review our charitable support on an annual basis to create a list of nominated charities. We were also given the Payroll Giving Bronze Award 2015 for our succeeding in generating sustainable income sources for UK charities through Payroll Giving.
Environmental - sustainable use and responsible disposal of scarce resources.
Our environmental policy recognises our clear commitment to improving our business practices to make a positive impact on the environment. Through an environmental scan and audit process, and working in partnership with our key stakeholder groups, we recognise, evaluate and adopt "best practice" methods to minimise the impact of our business on the environment.
External recognition for our CSR efforts
HM Community and our CSR initiatives have been recognised through a number of accreditations and awards, including:
- Winner of the Corporate Social Responsibility Award at the Scottish Business Awards 2015 - the biggest event of its kind ever held in Scotland, which was addressed by George Clooney
- Winner of Best Health & Wellbeing initiative at the Scotland's Best Employer Awards 2014
- Shortlisted with the National Autistic Society Scotland in the Partnership Award category at the Scottish Charity Awards 2010
- Winner of the CSR Firm of the Year Award at the Law Awards of Scotland 2008
- Winner of the Corporate Social Responsibility Initiative of the Year at the Scottish Legal Awards 2007
- Shortlisted for Community Initiative of the Year at The Legal Awards 2009
- In 2013, Harper Macleod was recognised as Investors in People Bronze Level. We have been IIP accredited for over 10 years. Only 8% of member organisations have reached this milestone.
- The Payroll Giving Bronze Award 2015 from the Institute of Fundraising
- Silver Level Award of the Scottish Government 'Healthy Working Lives' Award Programme (January 2010)
- "Big Tick" in the Business Community Awards in the category of Healthy Workplace (June 2009 and reaccredited in June 2010)
- Only legal firm in Scotland to be listed in The Managing Partner Forum Top 100 Professional Firms to Work For 2008
At Harper Macleod we have always been very proud of our community work. Giving something back has always been very important to everyone and we are glad to make a difference in our community.Professor Lorne Crerar, Chairman, Harper Macleod
More from Harper Macleod
Why choose us?
You don't need a lawyer - not many law firms will tell you that. What you need is someone to provide a solution, and our advisors are dedicated and flexible enough to do just that.
Personal legal services
With one of Scotland's largest teams dealing with personal legal matters, we have specialist knowledge for every stage of your life - from buying a house to protecting your assets.
Want to be part of the future at one of Scotland's most progressive law firms? Talented colleagues are the key to our success, that's why we look after each other so well.