Energy Team of the Year - Scottish Legal Awards 2011
Who we are and what we do/
The leading Energy & Natural Resources group at Harper Macleod is a multi-disciplinary group of highly-experienced lawyers who provide innovative legal advice, on every aspect of the energy supply chain, from planning permission and property advice for wind and minerals projects, to advice on securing funding, negotiating community benefits and taking advantage of incentives.
- Port Services Group – acted in the acquisition of the business and assets at the Invergordon service base from JPR Fabrication Limited.
- Clydesdale Bank plc – acted for the bank in relation to Scrabster Harbour Trust for the provision of Secured Development Funding.
- E.ON Climate & Renewables UK Developments Limited - advising on all property related aspects of Rosehall Wind Farm (a 19 turbine wind farm in Caithness).
- Knowes Housing Association – advising on the provision of solar panels to 117 tenants of the Association.
- Forestry Commission Scotland - acting for FCS in relation to the Whitelee wind farm extension.
- SSE Renewables Developments (UK) Limited – we have been involved in the acquisition of property interests to allow the construction of what will be Europe's largest onshore wind farm, Clyde Wind Farm, South Lanarkshire, which will have a total generating capacity of 456MW and now the proposed first and second Clyde Wind Farm extensions. Over 100 turbines have now been installed.
- We know what we are doing – we've advised on energy matters since 1994.
- We are helping to meet Government renewable energy targets – our lawyers have advised on projects totalling almost 2GW of installed capacity with a further 1.5GW in the pipeline.
- We attract serious market players – we act on behalf of Scotland's largest landowner, who has an 8.5% share of the total land in Scotland.
- We understand the 'big' projects – acting on behalf of major utilities, bespoke developers, landowners and planning authorities – but also the small projects – we currently are working on over 70 Feed-in Tariff developments involving wind, hydro and pv.
- We represent Scotland's main community energy body and are currently helping several community groups develop their own energy projects
Areas of expertise/
- Anaerobic digestion
- Crofting law
- Community based projects
- FiT regime
- On & offshore wind
- Supply chain & contracting
- Wave & tidal
- Coal and associated minerals
- Energy from waste