Harper Macleod News & Blogs
Harper Macleod LLP
Energy Minister announced as keynote speaker at Highlands conference
For Immediate Release
Harper Macleod law firm reveals programme for Scottish Highland Renewable Energy Conference
Scotland, Wednesday 22nd February 2012 --- Leading law firm Harper Macleod LLP has announced the keynote speaker at its third Scottish Highland Renewable Energy Conference (SHREC) will be Fergus Ewing, Minister for Energy, Enterprise & Tourism. Other presenters at the event, which takes place on 26th April 2012 in the Drumossie Hotel, Inverness, will be respected industry figures Martin Moran from the National Grid, Audrey MacIver of Highlands and Islands Enterprise and David Bone, Harper Macleod’s Head of Energy. The conference will be chaired by Jeremy Sainsbury of Natural Power Consultants who is also Chairman of industry body, Scottish Renewables Forum.
SHREC provides practical advice on how to maximise opportunities in the wind, hydro, biomass and energy efficiency sectors for landowners, developers, housebuilders, housing associations and community groups.
Harper Macleod’s Chairman, Professor Lorne Crerar, commented: “Our SHREC conference has become a key event in the energy industry calendar and we are delighted that Mr Ewing will provide the keynote address. We anticipate continuing the dialogue amongst conference delegates and key figures in the industry and we have arranged the format to cover topical subjects such as the Government’s new strategic targets, the likely grid updates, developments in community-owned renewable schemes and the opportunities for housing providers to utlilise renewable energy to deliver energy efficient housing. We’ll also cover tax efficiencies in renewables projects and types of contracts for supply chain opportunities. SHREC has proved itself in previous years as a vital platform of engagement for people and businesses involved in energy and renewables.”
Harper Macleod has one of the top Energy teams in the country having contributed over one gigawatt of built capacity to Scotland’s renewable energy targets. Its Head of Energy, David Bone, is legal advisor to the Scottish Renewables Forum and the group’s clients include Fred. Olsen, E.ON and SSE Renewables. The firm is also the current holder of the Scottish Legal Awards Energy Team of the Year title.
Established in 1988, Harper Macleod has 46 Partners, 155 fee-earners and a total complement of over 270 staff based in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Inverness. The firm is noted for its expertise in key industry sectors, including Banks & Financial Institutions; Energy & Natural Resources; Food, Leisure & Hospitality; Insurance; Property & Construction; Public Sector (including Housing); Retail; Sport; and Family-owned Businesses. Clients include Clydesdale Bank, SSE Renewable Developments, William Hill, Heineken UK, RBS Insurance, National Car Parks, The Forestry Commission Scotland, The Department for Work & Pensions, The Scottish Government, HEROtsc, National Car Parks, The Scottish Premier League and Optical Express. Within the energy sector, in addition to advising some of the sector’s most recognizable brands, the firm also advises community-based projects on the west coast of Scotland and landed estates and farmers from the borders to Shetland.
About Harper Macleod LLP – Official Law Firm for the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games
- Founded in 1988, Harper Macleod LLP is one of Scotland’s leading commercial law firms. The main UK legal directories recommend the firm in 27 specialist areas.
- In 2010/11, the firm achieved a 12% per cent turnover growth to in excess of £17 million.
- Harper Macleod counts itself as a top three firm with a Scotland-only jurisdiction and is now tenth in Scotland in terms of fee-earner headcount.
- Harper Macleod LLP was awarded Firm of the Year 2010 at Scotland’s two independent legal awards (the Law Awards of Scotland and the Scottish Legal Awards).
- Harper Macleod is the only Scottish law firm to be appointed to the London 2012 Pro Bono Legal Advice and Representation Service.
- The firm has been awarded two top accolades in 2011 – Energy Team of the Year and Public Sector Team of the Year at the Scottish Legal Awards.
- The firm’s Chairman (Professor Lorne Crerar) and Chief Executive (Martin Darroch) jointly won ‘Partner of the Year’ 2011 and were commended for ‘sustaining a firm with high ethical standards in a competitive market’ and their ‘excellent vision and strategy’ (this award was also won in 2009).
- Harper Macleod Chairman, Professor Lorne Crerar, is one of only three Judicial Officers from the Home Nations for high-profile disciplinary and commercial cases at the Rugby World Cup 2011.
- Harper Macleod LLP picked up two awards at the MPF European Practice Management Awards 2009: Best Managed Firm (“There was a real sense of how the way the firm is managed explains their success”) and People Management award (“The firm has invested in its people ….with a strong emphasis on communication and employee engagement”).
- Harper Macleod opened its Inverness office at Cradlehall Business Park on 1 September 2004 – the first central-belt law firm to open an office in Inverness.
- We are the only Scottish legal firm with three part time teaching professors as well as 17 lawyers teaching or tutoring at the Glasgow universities.
- In 2010, the firm was awarded silver accreditation by Healthy Working Lives and in March 2008 was ranked in the inaugural Managing Partners Forum (MPF) “100 Best Professional Firms to Work For”.